Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ecclesiocentricity: Accomplished and Applied

Do any of you remember the great book, written by John Murray, entitled, "Redemption: Accomplished and Applied"? I am piggy-backing on that phraseology here.

Last week, a very excellent young Christian churchman asked me for our daughter's hand in marriage. I was glad to accede to his request.

But my first question to him was not, "How will you school your children (if God gives them to you)?"; or, "How many children do you plan to have?"; or, "Will our daughter be working inside or outside of the house?"

I am not saying that those issues do not have some relevance, and that they should not be broached. But they are far from primary. My first question (as many of you have anticipated, I am sure), was, "How will you lead our daughter, with regard to your church life and commitment?" And, of couse, that is *the* key question.

It wouldn't matter how many children they might, or might not have; nor how they school them; nor how they support themselves--if this issue of church was not settled satisfactorily.

Our future son-in-law, being the brilliant churchman that he is, was more than impressive in his fine responses to all my queries, (especially the one about church!).